Surgical Skills Lab
The Surgical Skills Lab is on the third floor at Ascension Via Christi St. Francis. Since inception, ongoing progress has been made to refine lab sessions. The PGY-1's have scheduled sessions two Wednesdays of most months. The manner of these labs follows the ACS Surgery Skills Curriculum Phase 1 for those sessions applicable to resident needs. Additional sessions pertinent to resident development have been added. Though the PGY-1's utilize the lab the majority of the time, specially tailored labs for upper level residents are also scheduled. Prior to each lab, specific goals and objectives are sent to the residents involved in the session. At the end of the lab, an evaluation and assessment is completed by the residents (learners) as well as de-briefing with the instructors. This allows ongoing improvement and refinement as needed for future endeavors. A recent significant undertaking and accomplishment has been Accreditation by the American College of Surgeons of the Skills Lab as a Focused Level Accredited Education Institute.
- The Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS) trainer is utilized for the PGY-4's and PGY-5's to help prepare them for the FLS testing.
- The laparoscopic simulator has been utilized in teaching residents laparoscopic skills. Tasks are assigned and progress updates are given to the program director.
- The addition of a new LAP MENTOR Simulator adds more challenging suture assignments plus cholecystectomy, sigmoid colon resection, and soon to be added-Nissen Fundoplication.
- The robotic simulator training modules are utilized by the PG-3's to prepare them for Robotic cases.
- The Fundamentals of Endoscopic Surgery Curriculum is completed with sessions on Upper and Lower Endoscopy
The following is a list of some of our skills sessions:
- Instrument Identification
- Emergent chest opening after coronary bypass
- FAST exam in Trauma
- Chest X-Ray Interpretation
- Chest Tubes
- Introduction to Ventilator & Ventilator Management
- CT review of head, neck, chest and abdomen
- Ultrasound - Basic Physics
- Ultrasound - Application (head, neck, abdomen)
- Sono guided central line placement
- EGD and Surgical Drains
- AV Fistulas
- Wound Vacs
- Vascular Anastomosis
- Surgeon as a communicator
- Chronic Wounds, Wound Care, and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Introduction to Critical Care and SICU
Upper Level Sessions:
- Breast Ultrasound
- Introduction to FLS (Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Suturing)
- Intracorporeal suturing
- VATS (Video Assisted Thorascopy)
- Common Bile Duct Exploration via cystic duct
- Robotic simulator
- Vascular Anastamosis
- Vascular Stents
- Pig lab heart dissection
- EVAR Simulation
- REBOA Simulation
Oct 21, 2019