At KU School of Medicine-Wichita, we strive to create a culture of overall wellness. Our campus is a proud participant in the WorkWell KS initiative. Additionally, our students, residents, faculty and staff members have access to a variety of health and wellness resources.
Campus Wellness Resources
Our modern fitness room is located in the basement of our main building and is open to everyone on campus. A campus access card is required to gain entry along with a Wellness Room consent form. For more information, contact our Safety & Emergency Management department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equipment available for use:
- Recumbent Bike
- Weight System
- Weight Bench
- Bosu Balance Trainer
- Yoga Balls
- Step Platforms
- TVs with cable, VHS & DVD player
- Restroom with shower, towels and private changing area
Campus walking maps
Ideas to get moving
- Looking for exercises you can do at your desk? Take a look at the Deskercise List.
- Having a meeting? Consider a walking meeting - or go wild and host the meeting in the Wellness Room. Do some light weightlifting with the free weights as you discuss your agenda.
- Going up? Take the stairs if you can instead of the elevator. Bonus: It helps the environment by saving electricity.
- Standing desks are rising in popularity on the campus. Check out this article from Healthline about the benefits of using a standing desk.
Mental health awareness
We can all help prevent suicide. Anyone could be struggling. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides free, confidential support and resources for people in distress: 1-800-273-8255, or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741. The local 24/7 suicide prevention hotline is 316-660-7500.
- Learn how to spot suicide warning signs.
- Screening for Adult Depression
- ACGME Physician Well-Being Tools & Resources
- American Psychiatric Association website on suicide prevention
- "Time to Talk About It: Physician Depression & Suicide" - AAMC MedEdPORTAL publication
- "Make a Difference: Preventing Medical Trainee Suicide" - Mayo Clinic awareness video
- Resources from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, including toolkits for medical schools, residency programs and fellowships
KU School of Medicine-Wichita students can access personal counseling resources through the ASA SharePoint site. Employee Assistance Programs and resources are also available for KUSM-W resident doctors, along with KUSM-W faculty and staff members and Medical Practice Association employees.
KU School of Medicine-Wichita has a dedicated space for nursing mothers and received the Gold Level Breastfeeding Employees Support Award from the Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition. The Mother's Room is adjacent to the Roberts Amphitheater.