Visiting Medical Students
The University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita utilizes the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) program to receive visiting student applications. Students who apply must meet the following requirements at the time of application:
- Be actively progressing toward an M.D. degree at an approved school and must be in their final year of medical school.
- Currently in good standing at an LCME accredited medical school
- Approved by your home institution to participate in an away elective at KUMC
- Have passed USMLE/COMLEX Step 1
- Covered by at least $3,000,000 aggregate/$1,000,000 instance, worth of malpractice insurance
- Completion of HIPAA training at your home school
- Have been instructed in safety measures and infection control precautions
- Personal health insurance coverage
- AAMC Standardized Immunization form must be submitted at time of application
- Passage of both a criminal background and a 11-panel drug screening on or after May 1, 2018
- Accepted students will be required to be N-95 Mask fitted in advance of their rotation. (Mask fitting can be done after acceptance of a rotation)
- Students must also have completed the following core clerkship requirements before the rotation begins:
- Family Medicine
Away rotations will resume no earlier than July 5, 2021. Students may begin applying for in-person away rotations after April 15 for rotations starting on July 5, 2021, or later.
Visiting students are accepted from United States and Canadian Liaison Committee for Medical Education (LCME) accredited schools. Students from offshore medical schools will not be accepted. Students from osteopathic medical schools need to contact the hospitals for application information.
- Medical Education Office, Wesley Regional Medical Center, 316-962-2245
- Medical Education Office, Ascension Via Christi St. Francis, 316-858-3531
Students from international medical schools must apply through the International Programs department on the Kansas City campus.
If you are accepted or rejected for a rotation at KU School of Medicine-Wichita, the Office of the Registrar will contact you by email. If accepted, you will be provided with instructions from the clinical department on where to report the first day of the rotation. All visiting students are required to pay $95.26 tuition and fees per semester. You will receive an e-bill via your KUMC email address with instructions on how to pay your tuition and fees. You are also advised to bring a copy of your school's evaluation form with you on the first day.
About KU School of Medicine-Wichita
At KU School of Medicine-Wichita, our mission is to educate students, residents and physicians through patient care, service, research and scholarly activities to improve the health of Kansans in partnership with Kansas communities.
With Kansas in need of more physicians, KU School of Medicine opened the Wichita campus in 1971 to provide hands-on clinical training to medical students in their third and fourth years. In 2011, KU School of Medicine-Wichita expanded to a full, four-year campus, welcoming its first class of first-year medical students. The Wichita campus expansion was designed to help alleviate Kansas’ physician shortage.
While the majority of medical schools are tied to a hospital, KU School of Medicine-Wichita is community-based thanks to more than 1,000 volunteer faculty inside three partner hospitals (Robert J. Dole VA Medical Center, Wesley Medical Center, and Ascension Via Christi, as well as in doctors’ offices across the state.
To learn more about our campus, see our About Us page.