Clery Act

The University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita, through the campus security office of the Facilities Management Department, makes several safety and security reports available to its community and to prospective students and employees. These reports provide important information, including several items for which federal law requires disclosure. The Campus Security Report is published annually and contains the following information.

  • Campus policy regarding the reporting of criminal activity
  • Campus policy concerning facility safety and access
  • Campus policy concerning law enforcement
  • Information regarding security and crime prevention programs
  • Campus policy for the recording of off-campus criminal activity
  • Campus policy regarding the sale, possession, and use of alcohol and illegal drugs
  • Information regarding drug and alcohol education programs
  • Campus policy regarding sexual assault programs to prevent sex offenses and procedures to follow when sex offenses occur
  • Crime statistics for the three most recent calendar years, to include crimes due to hate or bias
  • Policies for making timely warnings to the campus community on events that represent a threat to their safety
  • Policies regarding firearms and weapons on campus

While the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita strives to provide a safe environment, criminal incidents, and other emergencies do occur despite reasonable efforts.

It is crucial that you report criminal incidents affecting personal safety, state property, and business to the campus security officers on a timely basis. If you are the victim of any crime or witness a crime, call the security office at 316-648-8329 from any phone. If using a campus phone, you must first dial 9 for an outside line. If the call is a life threatening emergency call 9-9-1-1 to reach police assistance and/or emergency responders.

The campus security officers depend on these reports to allocate its resources most effectively. Therefore, to maximize crime prevention efforts and facilitate the arrest and conviction of criminals, all crime must be promptly reported to the security office. This information goes into monthly and annual reports. Information from these reports as well as from the Wichita Police Department is used by the Campus Security Section to prepare the Campus Security Report to comply with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crimes Statistics Act.

Each year, an announcement is made to all employees, faculty, and students providing the website to access this report. 

Campus Facility Security and Access
Campus security officers have the authority and responsibility over security matters on campus, including the establishment of schedules for the securing of perimeter doors and access to facilities after hours. Students and employees are required to carry their issued photo identification and access card while on campus and must present their identification upon request to security officers and other university officials. 

Facilities and buildings are restricted for use by authorized visitors and members of the campus community. If you are a campus student or employee and you need assistance in gaining entry to a non-restricted area, you may call the on-duty security officer at 316-648-8329.

Campus security officers regularly patrol the exterior and interior of campus buildings throughout the day. Security officers correct safety and security deficiencies when possible and create work orders for Facilities Management maintenance crews for issues they are unable to correct.

Exterior campus lighting is essential to create a safe campus environment. Parking lots are lighted after dark. Walkways and most campus building exteriors are lighted during the hours of darkness. Maintenance, custodial, and security personnel advise Facilities Management of any lighting outages that occur. You are encouraged to report exterior or interior lighting problems by calling Facilities Management at 316-293-2625.

Security Officer Authority and Service for the Wichita Campus

Campus security jurisdiction is limited to the property owned or operated by the university. The security officers on campus are not commissioned law enforcement officers and their authority to arrest is the same as other ordinary citizens.

Parking on Campus

Parking tickets issued by the security officers are enforceable as authorized by Kansas Statutes Annotated (K.S.A.) 74-3209 through 74-3216 and Kansas Administrative Regulations, Chapter 88, Article 4. In addition to the internal misuse fee, K.S.A. 74-3215 provides for prosecution of the campus regulations as misdemeanors in the District Court of Sedgwick County; however, it is the practice of the university not to pursue this prosecution if the misuse fees are paid in a timely manner.

Vehicles may be towed from the campus and impounded at any time if they interfere with the efficient operation of traffic and parking on the campus or in the event of excess (five or more) unpaid parking tickets. All charges for towing and/or storage are the responsibility of the vehicle's owner.

The authority of the security officers includes provisions for patrols, response to emergency situations, receipt of reports, and coordination with local law enforcement agencies.

The campus security section has well-established relationships with the Wichita Police Department and other law enforcement agencies. These relationships are maintained through periodic communication among agency administrators and by frequent contact between the security officers and the Wichita Police Department.

Firearms and Weapons 
Policy Statement
As required by Kansas law (the Personal and Family Protection Act ("PFPA")), concealed carry of handguns shall be permitted on University campuses, including all buildings and public areas of buildings owned or leased by the University that do not have adequate security measures, except in specified restricted access areas within buildings.  Open carry of firearms and possession of weapons other than concealed handguns shall be prohibited on all University campuses, except for police instructors and their students who carry their service or training weapons openly as part of authorized police training conducted at the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center's ("KLETC") Yoder campus.  Nothing in this policy shall be read to prohibit the possession of weapons on University campuses (1) as necessary for the conduct of Board of Regents approved academic programs or University approved activities or practices, including those conducted by the Reserve Officer Training Corps faculty and their enrolled students and by the KLETC police instructors and their enrolled students, or (2) by University police or security officers or other law enforcement officers as defined by K.S.A. 75-7c22.  The University of Kansas, Lawrence, campuses, and the University of Kansas Medical Center campuses shall develop campus specific procedures for the safe possession, use, and storage of such weapons. 

Concealed Carry
Beginning July 1, 2017, any individual who is 21 years of age or older and who is not prohibited or disqualified by law and who is lawfully eligible to carry a concealed handgun in Kansas shall not be precluded from doing so on University campuses, including all facilities owned or leased by the University, except (1) in buildings and public areas of buildings for which adequate security measures are provided or, (2) in a specified restricted access area of a building.  Within such restricted access areas, concealed carry will be banned.  Individuals who are not employees of the University may be authorized access through a restricted access entrance only pursuant to a University screening process that is compliant with the provisions of the PFPA.  The Executive Vice Chancellor ("EVC") of the KU Medical Center will coordinate with the Chief Executive Officer ("CEO") of the KU Hospital to determine implementation of these measures for purposes of reciprocity with respect to their respective employees.

Off-Campus Crime Reporting
The Wichita Campus of the University of Kansas does not have officially-recognized student organizations (fraternities and sororities) with off-campus housing facilities. Off-campus university property is used for administrative or support functions and is not frequently used by students. In general, the University community is reminded that with any campus there is crime both on and off-campus and that it is important to take reasonable precautions at all times. The campus security officers will assist in determining an appropriate point of contact for police matters outside the scope of the University, in most cases this is the Wichita Police Department.

Alcohol and Drug Use Policy

The University of Kansas prohibits the unlawful possession, use, manufacture, or distribution of alcohol or drugs by students and employees on its property and the Wichita Campus is no exception to this policy.

The university is committed to a program to prevent the abuse of alcohol and the illegal use of drugs by students and employees. Any student or employee of the university found to be abusing alcohol or using, possessing, manufacturing, or distributing controlled substances in violation of the law on university property or at university events shall be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with applicable policies of the State of Kansas, the Board of Regents, and the University of Kansas. Students who violate this policy will be subject to sanctions which include suspension and expulsion from the university.

Students and employees are reminded that illegal possession or use drugs or alcohol may also subject individuals to criminal prosecution. The university will refer violations of proscribed conduct to appropriate authorities for prosecution. Kansas law provides that sale, distributing, or manufacturing opiates and narcotics, such as cocaine and heroin, shall be guilty of a Class C felony. For a conviction of a Class C felony, the court may sentence a person to a term of imprisonment of a minimum of 3 to 5 years, a maximum of 10 to 20 years, and a fine of up to $15,000. Unlawful possession of a depressant, stimulant, or hallucinogenic drug is punishable as a Class A misdemeanor; with a penalty of up to one year in jail and a fine or $2,500. Depressants include barbiturates, Valium, and barbital. Hallucinogens include LSD, marijuana, and psilocybin. State law classifies amphetamines and methamphetamine as stimulants.

The Federal Controlled Substances Act provides penalties of up to 15 years' imprisonment and fines of up to $25,000 for unlawful distribution or possession with the intent to distribute narcotics. For unlawful possession of a controlled substance, a person is subject to up to one year of imprisonment and fines up to $5,000. Any person who unlawfully distributes a controlled substance to a person under 21 years of age may be punished by up to twice the term of imprisonment and fine otherwise authorized by law.

Accidents and injuries are more likely to occur if alcohol and drugs are used on university property or as part of university activities. Every year in the United States, more than 200,000 people are treated in hospitals for drug-related accidents and mental and physical illness; another 25,000 die every year from drug-related accidents or health problems. Drug tolerance and psychological dependence can develop after sustained use of drugs. More specifically, physical dependency, heart problems, infections, malnutrition, and death may result from continued high doses of amphetamines. Chronic use of narcotics can cause lung damage, convulsions, respiratory paralysis, and death. Depressants, such as tranquilizers and alcohol, can produce slowed reactions, slower heart rate, damage to liver and heart, respiratory arrest, convulsions, and accidental overdoses, because the abuser is unaware of how much of the drug or alcohol has been taken. Use of hallucinogens may cause psychosis, convulsions, coma, and psychological dependency.

Alcoholism is the number one drug problem in the United Sates. Alcoholism takes a toll on personal lives by affecting finances, health, social relationships, and families and can have significant legal consequences. Abuse of alcohol or use of drugs may cause an individual driving a motor vehicle to injure others and may subject the abuser to criminal prosecution. Drunk drivers are responsible for more than half of all traffic fatalities.

The term "controlled substance" as used in this policy means those substances included in Schedules I through V as defined by Section 812 of Title 21 of the United States Code and as further defined by the Code of Federal Regulations, 21 C.F.R. 1300.11 through 1300.15. The term does not include the use of a controlled substance pursuant to a valid prescription of other uses authorized by law.

The term "alcohol" as used in this policy means any product of distillation of a fermented liquid which is intended for human consumption and which is more than 3.2% alcohol by weight as defined in Chapter 41 of the Kansas statutes.

Policy on Drug-Free/Alcohol Assistance Programs

The University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita is interested in the health and well-being of its students, faculty, and staff. At some time, members of the university community may be faced with a variety of personal problems which may affect their wellness and job performance. While some people attempt to deal with such problems on their own, there may be times when professional assistance can be helpful.

It is in the best interest of the university, its students, and employees to provide assistance to those with personal problems involving alcohol, drugs, family, marriage, finances, emotions, or other conditions which may interfere with work attendance, productivity, and the ability to get along with co-workers. The university believes that an effective Drug-Free/Alcohol Assistance Program encourages wellness and promotes the efficiency of its students, faculty, and staff members.

Drug abuse is against the law and the university may institute disciplinary proceedings for the use of controlled substances in the workplace or other violations of the drug-free workplace policy. To avoid these adverse situations, the university encourages its students and employees to seek counseling and assistance from on-campus and community resources.The University's Employee and Student Assistance Program is designed to provide information, assessment, and referral services to help faculty, staff, and students identify problems and develop lifestyles that are physically and emotionally healthy. The University wants to encourage identification of problems at the earliest possible stage to motivate faculty, staff, and student members or their family to seek assistance.

An additional source of assistance for employees is the State Lifeline, 24-hour, toll-free assistance line, 1-800-284-7575; if referred through the Lifeline, the first counseling session is paid by the State. All contacts are kept in strict confidence.

Faculty, staff, and students may also contact or be referred to off-campus resources as appropriate. Counseling costs are often covered by health insurance with the proper referral from the employee's or student's primary health care provider.

The decision to seek counseling may be that of the employee or student, or there may be situations where referral is recommended by a supervisor, instructor, or advisor when performance or behavior problems have been observed. A supervisor, instructor, or advisor should not attempt to diagnose a problem when a problem affecting productivity has been observed. Supervisors should encourage the faculty, staff, or student to correct any employment deficiency and to seek professional assistance.

Policy and Prevention Concerning Sexual Assault
Sexual assaults violate the dignity of the individual and undermine the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita as a caring institution within which to learn and work. The intent of the university is to provide as much educational information about the nature of sexual assaults as possible and how these attacks can be prevented.

The university also intends to provide resources for those who have been sexually assaulted and to administer appropriate consequences to those who have been judged responsible for sexually assaultive acts. The university intends to provide a fair hearing to all parties in cases of alleged sexual assault and to offer support and care for victims of sexual assault.

Sexual assault defined.
 A sexual assault is an act of rape, forcible sodomy, and/or sexual penetration, however slight, of another person's anal or genital opening with an object. The unwanted touch of anyone's intimate parts (defined as genitalia, groin, breast, buttocks, or clothing covering them) or forcing an unwilling person to touch another's intimate parts are also assaultive behaviors. These acts must be committed either by force, threat, intimidation, or through the use of the victim's mental or physical helplessness of which the accused was aware or should have been aware.

Sexual assault policy.
 No form of sexual assault will be tolerated or condoned at the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita. This policy prohibits those acts defined as sexual assaults as well as attempts to coerce sexual activity upon an unwilling person. The university will take action against those who violate this policy.

Prevention of sexual assault.
In order to implement this policy, the university will engage in timely educational activities to inform members of the community about what sexual actions are unacceptable and how assaultive situations can be prevented and avoided.

Residences of registered sex offenders in Kansas can be obtained from the Kansas Registered Offender Database operated by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation at

 Campus security officers are willing to escort you to your car at any time. Call 316-648-8329 for this service. 

Reporting Sexual Assault

Any individual may report an incident that she/he perceives to be a sexual assault. Victims of sexual assaults will be encouraged and assisted in reporting the assault to proper law enforcement authorities. If you are the victim of a sexual assault, call 911 immediately to make the report.

If you are being abused or know someone who is, you can seek help from the Wichita Area Sexual Assault Center's 24-hour crisis line at 316-263-3002.
Crime Statistics and Reports
The campus security section believes that a well-informed community remains a safety conscious one. Numerous efforts are made to keep you and other members of the campus community informed about campus crime and crime-related problems. Written reports are made of all crimes reported to the campus security section. A daily crime log is available to interested persons and may be viewed at the security supervisor's office 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

clery act reportclery act report

Last modified: Jul 21, 2017
Security Contact

Julie Stimson
Emergency and Safety Manager
(o) 316-293-3409
(c) 316-648-8297

Security Office
(o) 316-293-2662
(c) 316-648-8329