Obstetrics and Gynecology


Residency Overview

The ObGyn residency program at the University of Kansas School of Medicine in Wichita dates from 1971 and is the busiest obstetrics and gynecology program in the state of Kansas, unmatched in numbers or cases and deliveries.  The KU-SOM Wichita OB/GYN program is a fully approved and accredited four-year residency program that has five residents at each level for a total of 20 residents.  Approximately 85% of our graduating residents practice the specialty of Obstetrics and Gynecology, either in private or academic settings; the other 15% proceed to fellowship.

The number of obstetric cases and deliveries available for residents to participate in consistently ranks above the 95th percentile nationally.  Wesley Medical Center’s Labor and Delivery unit features twenty state-of-the-art delivery suites with six antepartum rooms for outpatient obstetric evaluation.  The labor and delivery unit in the main hospital is run by a first year resident with supervision by a senior resident.  The Wesley Birth Care Center, a free-standing birthing center, features twenty-one large labor and delivery suites managed by a second year resident.

Residents operate in a number of gynecologic cases throughout the four years of training.  Residents operate with forty-five faculty members including general obstetricians gynecologists, reproductive endocrinologists, urogynecologists, perinatologists and gynecologic oncologists.

Procedures from Residents
Graduating June 2010
Number done by Graduating Residents
Residency Program Procedure Rank-- National Percentile per Resident
Spontaneous Deliveries
676
99th
Forcep-assisted Deliveries
25
94th
Vacuum-assisted Deliveries
39
94th
Cesarean Deliveries
403
94th
Abdominal Hysterectomy
79
72nd
Vaginal Hysterectomy
27
83rd
Laparoscopy Hysterectomy
56
93rd 

Obstetrics and Gynecology is like no other medical specialty.  It blends the cognitive skills of Internal Medicine with the challenges of Surgery, allows for the subspecialty areas to blend with primary care skills and allows the physician to care for the complete patient.

The University of Kansas School of Medicine in Wichita’s Obstetrics and Gynecology residency program integrates education in the specialty with the service needed to develop and refine clinical and interpersonal skills.  It also presents the opportunity to actively participate in state of the art clinical and biochemical research.  The program prepares residents for private practice, academic pursuits, or subspecialty training.