At KU School of Medicine-Wichita, we strive to create a culture of overall wellness. Our campus is a proud participant in the WorkWell KS initiative. Additionally, our students, residents, faculty and staff members have access to a variety of health and wellness resources.
Campus Wellness Resources
Our modern fitness room is located in the basement of our main building and is open to everyone on campus. A campus access card is required to gain entry along with a Wellness Room consent form. For more information, contact our Safety & Emergency Management department at email@example.com.
Equipment available for use:
- Recumbent Bike
- Weight System
- Weight Bench
- Bosu Balance Trainer
- Yoga Balls
- Step Platforms
- TVs with cable, VHS & DVD player
- Restroom with shower, towels and private changing area
Campus walking maps
Walk at lunch at Botanica
Health ICT has partnered with Botanica to offer a Walk at Lunch Joint Use Agreement to registered worksites, which allows employees to walk through Botanica's beautiful gardens for only $1 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday through Friday. This Walk at Lunch opportunity is available now through Nov. 16, 2018. KU School of Medicine-Wichita has registered as a worksite, so this opportunity is open to the campus community, including MPA employees. Simply pay at the front desk and mention you are there for the Walk at Lunch program and you are with KU (showing your KU ID badge is recommended). Entry costs are the responsibility of each individual. Additionally, the Garden Cafe at Botanica offers a 10 percent discount on menu items to worksite participants during those times.
Ideas to get moving
- Looking for exercises you can do at your desk? Take a look at the Deskercise List.
- Having a meeting? Consider a walking meeting - or go wild and host the meeting in the Wellness Room. Do some light weightlifting with the free weights as you discuss your agenda.
- Going up? Take the stairs if you can instead of the elevator. Bonus: It helps the environment by saving electricity.
- Standing desks are rising in popularity on the campus. Check out this article from the Wichita Eagle about the benefits of using a standing desk.
Mental health awareness
We can all help prevent suicide. Anyone could be struggling. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides free, confidential support and resources for people in distress: 1-800-273-8255, or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741. The local 24/7 suicide prevention hotline is 316-660-7500.
- Learn how to spot suicide warning signs.
- Screening for Adult Depression
- ACGME Physician Well-Being Tools & Resources
- American Psychiatric Association website on suicide prevention
- "Time to Talk About It: Physician Depression & Suicide" - AAMC MedEdPORTAL publication
- "Make a Difference: Preventing Medical Trainee Suicide" - Mayo Clinic awareness video
KU School of Medicine-Wichita students can access personal counseling resources through the ASA SharePoint site. Employee Assistance Programs and resources are also available for KUSM-W resident doctors, along with KUSM-W faculty and staff members and Medical Practice Association employees.