In order to insure that our staff, students and patients will continue to enjoy safe, secure and convenient access to the Kansas University Medical School at Wichita, the following policy and procedures have been implemented.
Building Access Policy
Exterior doors will be controlled on a schedule established and maintained by Facilities Management and coordinated with Security.
Key Control Policy
Physical distribution and collection of keys will be the responsibility of Facilities Management; they will be controlled by established procedures coordinated through individual department representatives (Key Control Officer).
Issuing Authority: Each department will appoint a key control officer who will coordinate key control with Facilities Management and maintain any records required by the department. An organization chart with the designated key representative is maintained In Facilities Management.
Key Control Office: Will be maintained in Facilities Management.
Key Request/Authorization: Access will be given based on demonstrated need and coordinated with the Key Control Officer. Key requests will be done in writing on a KEY AUTHORIZATION FORM.Key Issuance/Transfer
- The department Key Control Officer prepares and signs the Key Authorization Form (KAF), which specifies the key(s) needed or transferred.
- Facilities will update records, make and distribute keys as needed.
- The employee will sign for the key(s) upon receipt and may retain a copy of KAF if requested.
- Originals of completed forms are maintained in Facilities Management. Copies of completed KAF will be provided to the Key Control Officer.
- Facilities Management will provide a list of keys issued to supervisors of key holders upon transfer or termination of key holder.
- Department is responsible for obtaining keys from completing KAF with, and providing copies requested by transferring/terminating employees.
Completed release forms (KAF) and returned keys will be picked up
by Facilities Management personnel in order for records to be updated.
Keys returned to Facilities Management will be destroyed.
Duplication: Keys issued by the school are not to be duplicated.
Lost Keys: It is the responsibility of the key holder to report key loss to their supervisor and ultimately the Key Control Officer within one working day. The Key Control Officer will provide, fill out , and deliver to Facilities Management a KAF to report the same and make decisions regarding replacement of keys.
Departments restricting access by keypad locks will maintain their own combination codes and a means of emergency access in coordination with security.
Record-keeping: Facilities Management will be responsible for maintaining original records of lock core combinations and key holders.Maintenance
- A key audit will be periodically performed to verify key control records.
- Facilities Management will periodically conduct a lock inspection.
- Defective locks should be reported within one working day to Facilities Management.
Enforcement (Training as Needed)
- Employees must notify their supervisor of lost key(s). The department is responsible for determining the need for and the expenses of any rekeying necessitated by loss of keys.
- Terminating employees must return their key(s) to their supervisor along with a completed release form (KAF). A copy is to be kept by the Key Control Officer and the original sent to Facilities. Management.
Last Modified: July 18, 2012
Copyright © 1998-2011, The University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita