KUSM-W Vehicle Management Policy provides vehicles for transportation for a minimal fee. This service is available to:
(1) University departments, other University related organizations and classes of individuals approved by the Kansas Board of Regents. Only authorized personnel in these groups engaged in official University business may utilize this service. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES can a state vehicle be driven to a residence and returned the next day, nor have family members or friends operate or travel in a state vehicle
(2) Students are permitted to use a state vehicle, if one of the following conditions is met:
(a) they are employed by the State and engaged in official State business
(b) there is a State employee in the vehicle or
(c) the vehicle is in a caravan with another state vehicle operated by a State employee
Reservations for a state vehicle is required at least 24-hours in advance before the anticipated travel date with the Facilities Management office. If a state vehicle is unavailable, departments may consider using the state contract for vehicle rentals through Enterprise. A request for Use of State Vehicle form must be submitted to Facilities Management when reservations are made. Facilities Management will send an email to the requestor advising of the confirmed reservation date and assigned vehicle. (The Facilities Department will manage vehicle reservations and may alter, change or reassign vehicles based on demand, usage, and priorities.) If seats need to be removed or installed in the vehicle, we require at least 24-hour notification.
The following items will be distributed at check-out:
- Credit Cards: Wright Express
- KTAG for use of Kansas Turnpike as needed
The following information should be recorded on the Vehicle Use Form
- Beginning and ending mileage of vehicle odometer
- Record of gas receipts and usage
- Entrance and exit location for starting trip and return trip for Kansas Turnpike
- Comments section should include any mechanical malfunctions that occur during the trip
Upon return of your trip, please remember to:
- Return the vehicle to the fenced parking lot on the corner of 10th & Minneapolis unless previous arrangements were made with the Facilities office. The gate to the fenced parking lot is open between 6 AM - 7 PM.
- If you are returning after 7 PM, there is a padlock key with an orange tag attached to the vehicle key ring which will unlock the gated fence. Please return the vehicle to the gated lot, and lock the gate when exiting.
- The state vehicle may be parked at the main entrance (Visitor's Parking space). Please contact Facilities the next business day to advise the location of the vehicle.
- a. Contact Security (648-8329) if you need assistance between 6 AM-10 PM, Monday-Friday.
- Return the vehicle the next business day to the fenced Parking Lot
- The vehicle folio and keys must
be returned to Facilities Management. If you are returning
after 5 PM, the keys may be given to the attending
Security Officer or returned to the Facilities office at 8 AM the
next business day.
- Please return gas receipts and miscellaneous vehicle receipts
when the keys are returned.
- If any seats were removed by the driver before the trip,
please replace them when trip is over.
- Record the state vehicle tag number (license plate #) on your
records if you will be submitting a travel voucher for personal
travel reimbursement. (Many times the forms request this information).
- 2012 Chevy Equinox – State of Kansas Vehicle Tag #15103
- 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan – State of Kansas Vehicle Tag #11658
- 2007 Ford Freestar – State of Kansas Vehicle Tag #12215
- 2007 Ford Focus – State of Kansas Vehicle Tag (2 vehicles available) #15060 or #15061
- 1997 Dodge Ram Van (15 Passenger) - State of Kansas Vehicle
The KUSM–Wichita Motor Pool charges for the use (including in-town travel) of all motor pool vehicles as follows:
- Cars: $.48 per mile
- Vans: $.48 per mile
- Minimum mileage charge of 40 miles at the appropriate rate above.
- Miscellaneous fees:
- If a vehicle is scheduled and not used, a $5.00 charge may be assessed unless the reservation is canceled 24 hours in advance.
- If the vehicle is not returned to the fenced parking lot, a $5.00 charge may be assessed.
- If mileage, gas usage or KTAG entries are not recorded on the Vehicle Use Form, a $5.00 charge may be assessed.
- If the Wright Express Card was used to fill the fuel tank and returned without the gas receipt, there will be a $10.00 charge, plus actual administrative labor time to retrieve receipt from vendor.
- If the vehicle is returned with the fuel tank less than ¾ full, a $5.00 charge may be assessed. There will be a $10.00 fee plus the actual gas charge.
- Seat Removal/Installation in Minivan - $20 per occurrence.
- Seat Removal/Installation in Full Size Van - $40 per occurrence
- Vehicle drop or pick up fees is $65.00 per round trip
- KTAG toll charges of actual fees accrued per trip.
View the complete list of FY14 Facilities Service Fees.
- User department or state employee at KUSM-W will need to submit a
Vehicle Request Form located on the Facilities
- State employees may proxy the Vehicle calendars in GroupWise to determine if a specific vehicle is available.
- Vehicle calendar addresses include:
- Upon receipt of a state vehicle request
form, Facilities Management will verify the vehicle availability
the date requested and send an
email to the requestor confirming the date
- During check-out the driver will be given the vehicle use
form, credit cards, keys and KTAG if applicable. The vehicle
- Monthly vehicle usage log that requires the ending mileage to be recorded upon return of trip.
- Accident & Emergency Repair information
- Use of state vehicle information
- Automobile loss notice - State
- All state vehicles are self-insured and carry liability insurance
- Insurance Carrier:
Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Insurance Company
3333 Farnam Street, Suite 300
Omaha, NE 68131
Phone Number: 800-488-2930
Fax Number: 415-675-4260
Policy #: KSA000895
State Contract #: 35873
State of Kansas Auto Liability Coverage
- Upon conclusion of trip, the vehicle use form will be
returned to Facilities Management with all required data
recorded. All gasoline
receipts, miscellaneous receipts and
keys are to be turned in at this time.
- All vehicles should be returned to the fenced parking lot. If you are returning the vehicle after 5 PM, the keys may be given to the attending security officer. The gates to the fenced parking lot are open 6 AM - 7 PM.
If an accident occurs involving a privately owned or state-owned or leased motor vehicle being used for official state business, the following web site provides detailed information required regarding the actions required by the vehicle operator: http://www.da.ks.gov/fm/cmp/information/transition/accidents/. (Insurance information and claim forms are located in the vehicle portfolio along with helpful information pertaining to an accident.)
- Report the accident to the proper law enforcement
- Kansas Highway Patrol (785) 296-6800, M-F, 8am-5pm. If you are on a Kansas state highway you can dial *47 on your cell phone.
- Kansas Turnpike Authority and/or Kansas Turnpike State Trooper at 316-682-4537 or *582 on cell phone
- Wichita Police Department
or Sedgwick County Sheriff - call 911
- The accident should be immediately reported by the vehicle operator or some other reliable person to the highway patrol or other law enforcement agency.
- If the accident occurs on the Kansas Turnpike contact the turnpike authorities at (785) 296-6800 or *582 on cell phone.
- Statements should not be made to anyone except law enforcement officers, representatives of the state's insurance company, or motor pool or agency officials.
- Information should be secured about the other party, so a complete report can be made on the report form provided.
- A copy of the policy report or case number must be submitted to Facilities Management.
- What to do if you’re involved in an accident using
a Personal vehicle on State business:
- Contact the local police or sheriff’s department to report the accident.
- If another party is involved, exchange information. Make to sure to get their name, address, phone number and their insurance company’s name, phone number and policy number. The State’s liability insurance is the primary liability coverage for state employees using their personal vehicle for official state business. You should not provide the other party with your personal insurance information. You may carry the State of Kansas Auto Liability Coverage document to show proof of liability insurance.
- Immediately contact the State’s liability insurance claims office, Cornhusker Casualty Company at 1-800-488-2930. Identify yourself as a State of Kansas employee to ensure proper claim handling.
- Fill out the Acord Automobile Loss Notice form. Fax the form to Cornhusker Casualty Company at 402-393-7619.
- Follow any agency specific procedures. Damage to a personal vehicle is the responsibility of the state employee, including any deductible.
- Injury accidents, if there is an accident in
which there are serious injuries or death:
- Call the claim department of the state's insurance company (1-800-488-2930) (Policy #KSA000805) or Facilities Management at KUSM-Wichita. (316) 293-2625
- The employee's immediate
supervisor shall be notified at once by the
in the accident.
If the employee is
unable to notify the employee's supervisor,
then the first employee having knowledge
of the accident
should make the
report to Facilities
- A complete automobile loss notice report of all accidents shall be made to Facilities Management within twenty four hours of accident. The form is provided in the vehicle folio or On-line Accident Report
- It shall be the responsibility of the employee involved in the accident to protect state property from theft or further damage. If the employee is not able to do so, then the employee's immediate supervisor or the first employee having knowledge of the accident shall do so.
- The location of any damaged vehicle shall be reported to Facilities Management as soon as such information is available.
- Damaged vehicles shall be towed to state property to avoid storage charges.
Emergency repairs under $500.00 may be charged to the Wright Express Gas Card, if the service station has service facilities and will do the repair. Repairs done by other vendors will require a purchase order number. If you need emergency repairs while operating a state vehicle and the cost is estimated to be over $500.00, call KUMC-Wichita for approval before authorizing repairs. Facilities Management with secure a P.O. Number and permission from KUMC to proceed with the repairs. Vehicle damage, excluding ordinary repairs and maintenance, shall be billed to the responsible department. Repairs may also be made at any state agency with a motor pool. Have the other state agency contact Facilities Management for billing account information.
If you are traveling to the Kansas University Medical Center in Kansas City, the Vehicle Management Department may be able to assist you within close proximity of their campus with transportation or repair needs. Contact KUMC Vehicle Management at (913) 588-7984, located at 109 Support Services Facility, 2100 W. 36 Ave, Kansas City, KS 66160.
Reportable road conditions are available for inclement weather and construction areas by calling the below phone numbers:
- 1. Kansas Highways - Dial 511
- 2. Oklahoma: (405) 425-2385
- 3. Missouri: 800-222-6400
- 4. Nebraska: Dial 511 and select state and enter highway #
Last Modified: July 18, 2012
Copyright © 1998-2012, The University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita